Wednesday, 18 May 2011

John McLaughlin at Ronnie Scott's and May updates

 I have just realized the month of May is nearing the end and my exams and work are taking so much time that temporarily the guitar and jazz,apart from listening,are pushed into a background role-TEMPORARILY  is the key word here!
 In the meantime,as my Sociology matters are close to their 6-year long journey (yes,'six' years), I have booked my tickets to see John McLaughlin at Ronnie Scott's on the 11th of July-because I am greedy I will be going to both sets on the night! and the Medeski, Martin & Wood gig at the Barbican, which also features Bill Evans. That is surely something to look forward to, considering I have never seen JML at Ronnie's it's going to be even more special.So already waiting for July!
 Apart from waiting, there is a bit of practicing and working on my web site, which should become available sometimes in June and will include most of my doings in an online version.The jazz jams at the Troy bar have been a welcome addition to the routine and kayaking is as exciting as ever!
 John McLaughlin's instructional 'This is the way I do it' is still an endless source of inspiration and practicing and I am thinking of a another guitar project-this time I want to build an improved version of my custom strat.
 On the Spotify front, I have discovered the Shotgun wedding experience, a great band that combines jazz, hip-hop and funk among others to great effect. Great lyrics, too.
 I'm planning to post some youtube videos of some jams next time, to add a video side to my jazz stories,but that's for next time...

2 comments:

  1. John McLaughlin is a great master of jazz improvisation , i would love to see live !

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes,his live shows are always special,try to go to one during this summer's tour!

    ReplyDelete